Tuesday 23 September 2014

The Beginning

I suppose a good place to start is at the beginning.

Firstly this is my first ever blog. I've been doing updates on Twitter and Facebook but decided to plunge deeper into the multi verse and expand my audience.

So the beginning. My name is Martyn Seddon. I'm a 32 year old, nearly 33, father of 3. I currently live in the rolling hills of Wiltshire with my wife Georgie and young son Freddie. My other two sons Callum and Finlay also live locally.

I served in the Army for 10 years and I'm now a telephone engineer.

About 4 years ago I was unfit overweight and desperately out of shape. I could hardly run 100 yards let alone complete a triathlon.

So why am I doing it now? Well firstly I've always wanted to complete a triathlon, kinda of a bucket list thing, but was never fit enough or in the right frame of mind to do so. Now I'm ready!!

I decided, in my infinite wisdom, not just to complete one triathlon but many triathlons. I also thought, you know what screw it I'm gonna do as many triathlons as I can in a year!! Then another bright idea hit me. You know what im gonna throw in a hand full of road race sportive's too!!!

I know, mad! I get it. But to be fair the reason there are so many challenges for me to consider is that it's all for charity!

I can't remember exactly when I was told my mum had MS but I do remember I was young and didn't really know what it was or what it meant. All I knew was that my mum was ill and it broke my heart.

Over the years my mum's symptoms got worse but she never quit she never gave up and she was always there for me and my sisters. No amount of disabling pain would stop her from ensuring that we had what we needed when we needed it. She is an inspiration to me and a rock solid mother. To this day she still suffers but still carries on regardless.

More recently a friend of mine was diagnosed with MS however it never stopped him! He recently took part in the Invictus Games winning Gold for Team GB in the wheelchair rugby. Now if that isn't inspiration I don't know what is.

My challenge is over the next 12 months to raise £2000 for the MS Society by taking part and completing as many triathlons, duathlons and road race epic sportive's as possible. The challenge is to then complete the Ride London 100 and the London Triathalon.

This blog will be my diary of events and training leading up to each event.

This is my story and I'm hoping that you will all get involved and show your support in whatever way you can.

You can donate by visiting my Just Giving Page at http://www.justgiving.com/Martyn-Seddon or text KOMS99 followed by your donation to 70070.

I will post more blogs over the coming days. This is my introduction to my cause and efforts. I hope you enjoy reading and getting involved.

Cheers

Martyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment