Wednesday 1 October 2014

Training Part One (RUNNING)

Training began around 18 months ago, however during the summer of 2013 I suffered a slipped disc in my neck and training was halted. I decided that in terms of my training the year was over abruptly and didn’t return to training until I felt fit and able.

On the 7th of January 2014, I returned to full training. At this point I tipped the scales at over 17st and I was struggling to run a 5km in less than 30 minutes. I had cycled a 30 km route and really struggled to break an average of 20 kph. Things looked grim. In my mind I knew what I wanted to achieve, but things looked really tough at this point.

Not to be defeated I decided to start running as well as cycling! What hurt the most was the fact that I couldn’t run 5k within 30 minutes. I felt that my personal pride was dented. Because of this I decided that I needed to set myself some goals. Starting with a sub 30 minute 5k. I was motivated so I stuck at the running. I was a plodder with a purpose. I may have looked like a missing zoo creature bounding around the village, but to be honest I didn't care. I had a goal and I was going to hit it regardless of what other people thought.

The next few weeks were tough. I was running 4.5km in 32 minutes. Not only was I 2 minutes over my target, I was also half a kilometre off the distance too. I felt my fitness improving, so I knew there was hope and light at the end of the tunnel.

Each run increased my fitness and gave me a belief. I had also given up smoking on the 7th of January, the same day my fitness regime had started. For some time I had been using apps on my phone to record my running data.

One morning mid-March, I decided I would go for an early morning run. I laced my running shoes up and it was freezing cold. I went on my plod around the village. The run started well and the lady in my ear was giving me my split times at each km I ran. By the time I'd reached the 3 km mark I'd realised I was running quicker than ever before and still felt good. So I carried on. Getting closer to home and that 5km barrier, which I had now marked out properly.

Then 'BOOM' it was done - 28.06 min over 5km. I had only gone and bloody done it! I was so happy. Such a small achievement meant so much to me. It was a mini goal that now meant I could go further and faster than ever before! My mind was now set! I was ready to do it!

Fast forward a few months and the training continued. With some excellent advice and tips for training from my good buddy Anthony Durkin (@therunnerruns) I'm now running 5km in 26 mins and running a 10km in 58 mins. I'd have laughed in everyones face at the start of the year if you'd have told me I'd be running 10km. The training is going well and the running gets better and better.

Remember I had no professional coaching I just kept going. Fighting the urge to quit, fighting against me telling myself I couldn't do it I'm proof that the fat lad at the back can improve and become one of the fast lads near the front. I'm now weighing in at under 15st which I couldn't be happier with. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can do it.

Special thanks also must go to High5 Sports Nutrition (@High5Nutrition) for their quality products which I use before and during my runs. The energy gels and hydration drinks tabs are brilliant and really make a difference. An extra special thanks Jodie Smith too at High 5 Sports Nutrition who has always been on the end of an email for me. I fully recommend checking out High5 Sports Nutrition's products.

My next blog will be live in a couple of weeks. Thanks for reading and don't forget this is all for charity so give what you can by texting KOMS99 plus your donation to 70070 or visit http://www.justgiving.com/Martyn-Seddon.

Thanks Martyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment